Looking for Research Articles?
Electronic Resources (Evidence Based)
- CINAHL with Full Text – a comprehensive resource for peer- reviewed nursing and allied health literature including searchable cited references. Includes a cumulative Index includes Radiologic Therapy among its allied health professions and other selected biomedical journals.
- MEDLINE – an online database of biomedical journal citations and abstracts covering all areas of medicine and indexed with NLM's controlled vocabulary, the Medical Subject Headings (MeSH®). Full text must be ordered from another library using the Interlibrary Loan Article Request Form.
- PubMed – a free resource that anyone may access. Includes access to MEDLINE and to citations for selected articles in life science journals not included in MEDLINE. Not full-text but citations may include links to full-text articles from PubMed Central, publisher web sites, or Oregon Tech Library subscription databases. Subject matter includes Dental Hygiene, Imaging, Physical Therapy, etc. Limit searches by Clinical trials, RCT, Meta-analysis, Practice guidelines, etc. It includes content from the late 1940s to present and is developed and maintained by the National Library of Medicine.
- Cochrane Library – contains a collection of databases that contain evidence based research with clinical expertise and patient values for informed healthcare decision-making. Go to Cochrane’s multimedia web page to access helpful videos and podcasts. Visit The Cochrane Collaboration Glossary and FAQs.
- Cochrane Reviews are systematic summaries of evidence of the effects of healthcare interventions. For a review to be called a Cochrane Review, it must be in Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (CDSR) or Cochrane Methodology Register (CMR).
- Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (CDSR) brings together all of the currently available Cochrane Reviews and Protocols and is updated quarterly.
- Cochrane Methodology Register (CMR) is a bibliography (with abstracts) of articles and books about methodological issues relevant to summarizing evidence of the effects of healthcare.
- CENTRAL (Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials [CCRCT]) aims to include all relevant reports that have been identified through the work of The Cochrane Collaboration, through the transfer of this information to the US Cochrane Center.
- HTA Database is within The Cochrane Library and contains structured records describing health technology assessment projects. Compiled by the NHS Centre for Reviews and Dissemination.
- NHSEED is a database within The Cochrane Library, the NHS Economic Evaluation Database containing structured abstracts of articles describing the economic evaluation of healthcare interventions. Compiled by the NHS Centre for Reviews and Dissemination.
- Database of Abstracts of Reviews of Effects (DARE) is a collection of structured abstracts and bibliographic references of systematic reviews of the effects of healthcare interventions produced by the NHS Centre for Reviews and Dissemination in York, UK.
- Health Source Nursing Academic Edition –provides scholarly full-text journals focusing on nursing, allied health fields, and many medical disciplines. Includes Merriam-Webster's Medical Desk Dictionary
- Sage Journals Online – has full-text articles on radiological science. A few journal titles are The American Journal of Sports Medicine, Health Informatics Journal, Journal of Child Health Care, Journal of Dental Research, Journal of Intensive Care Medicine, Medical Care Research and Review, Social Studies of Science and Trauma.
- Engineering Village – includes hyperlinked records and full text links to multiple engineering literature databases; possible broad search terms to use are medicine, radiology, radiography, diagnostic radiography, and radiotherapy.
- Academic Search Premier – general interest databases covering many disciplines.
- Wiley InterScience – full-text journals and books are available.
See Electronic Resources by Subject for more databases or the Electronic Resources A –Z list. For more subject guides that may be of assistance, see Oregon Tech Library’s Find by Subject.
Specific Journal/Periodical Titles (Evidence Based)
Open access peer-reviewed journals are available at the Directory of Open Access Journals.
Within the Oregon Tech Library Catalog, search by title, keyword, or subject for the related Library of Congress subject headings shown below, e.g.: Radiology (see “View online edition via the Internet”). This search will find resources in both paper and available electronically.
Apply the “TRUST” attributes while determining the quality of a research article:
- Target purposeful and relevant information for the intended research
- Review the qualifications and achievements of the author
- Utilize evidence-based scholarly articles found in open-source scholarly journals or library electronic resources
- Search for why the information exists
- Test the information for historical or current value for your topic
Looking for a Book?
Books and other items are listed in the Library Catalog. Use the Library Catalog to find materials in the Oregon Tech Libraries' collections and through the Summit. Summit provides access to materials from 36 academic libraries in Oregon and Washington for Oregon Tech students, faculty and staff. See the titles and suggested Library of Congress call number ranges below for pointers to popular items.
Depending on the research being conducted, try these suggested Library of Congress call number ranges and related Library of Congress subject headings.
- HD9995.I432- I433- Medical Imaging equipment industry
- QC475- Radiation -- Measurement; X-rays; Radiology; Diagnosis; Radioscopic
- QC762- Nuclear magnetic resonance
- QD471- Chemical compounds - Structure and formulas
- QH324.9.M28- Methods of research, magnetic resonance
- RC 78 - Diagnosis, Radioscopic; Radiography, Medical; Radiology, Medical; X-rays; Radiology, Medical -- Periodicals; Diagnosis, Radioscopic--Examinations, questions, etc.; Diagnosis, Radioscopic--Case studies; Radiography, Medical--Image quality.
- R849 - Radiotherapy; Radiology, Medical; Radiology, Medical—History; Radiation—Dosage; Radioisotopes--Therapeutic use; Radiology, Medical -- Examinations, questions, etc.; Radiotherapy, High energy—Directories; Radiotherapy--Data processing; Nuclear medicine; Radiation dosimetry.
- TR750 - Radiography, Industrial; Radiography—Processing; X-ray photogrammetry; X-rays; Autoradiography; Flash radiography.
Within the Oregon Tech Library Catalog, search by title example: RC55 .M4 –The Merck manual of diagnosis and therapy (vol. 18, 2006) and QD65 .H3 CRC handbook of chemistry and physics (Includes the periodical table of the elements, basic constants and units, and geophysical data.) or search by subject for the related Library of Congress subject headings such as Radiotherapy; Radiology, Medical; Radiology, Medical—History; Radiation—Dosage, etc.
- Credo Reference allows access to medical dictionaries such as Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary, Webster's New World™ Medical Dictionary, Black's Medical Dictionary, 42nd Edition, Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary, etc. Try searching “medical imaging” for articles containing graphics.
- Smart Imagebase Download thousands of medical illustrations, videos, interactive tools, and monographs of anatomy, physiology, embryology, surgery, trauma, pathology, diseases, conditions and other topics.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library for Access available through this electronic resource database Complete Human Diseases and Conditions, 3v, 2008; Complete Dictionary of Scientific Biography , 27v, 2008; and Encyclopedia of Science, Technology, and Ethics , 4v, 2005.