Looking for Background Information? Start Here!
These resources are a good place to get definitions of terms and concepts as well as general background information.
Credo Reference - Includes titles such as: Dictionary of Accounting, Collins Dictionary of Business, QFinance: The Ultimate Guide, and Dictionary of Finance and Investment Terms.
Accounting Terminology Guide
Looking for Research Articles?
Start with these Electronic Resources
Primary Electronic Resources
- Business Source Premier — Provides full text for more than 1,100 journals covering business, management, economics, finance, banking, accounting, and much more. Try the Business Searching Interface that has been specifically designed to enable Business Source Premier users to take advantage of its diverse database content.
- Business and Company Resource Center — Brings together company profiles, brand information, rankings, investment reports,company histories, chronologies and periodicals. Use Company Search, Industry Search, Article Search, Publication Search, or Advanced Search.
- Lexis Nexis Academic — Provides full text of federal standards, legislation, AICPA publications, Accountant’s Handbook and other resources for accountants.
Some major accounting-related journals are below. You can search the electronic resources listed above for these titles and many others.Articles from these journals are generally available in full text format. The appropriate database is listed beside the title.
- Accounting Today (Business Source Premier)
- Accounting Review (Business Source Premier, Business and Company Research Center)
- Contemporary Accounting Research (Business Source Premier, Wiley Online)
- Journal of Accountancy (Business Source Premier, Lexis Nexis Academic)
- Journal of Accounting Research (Business Source Premier)
Secondary Electronic Resources
- Standard and Poor’s — Contains up-to-date information on stocks, bonds, and mutual funds, as well as corporation records and other investment guides.
- Wall Street Journal — Full text access to the US premier business newspaper.
- Academic Search Premier — A general interest database covering many disciplines.
- Google Scholar — Indexing, abstracts, and occasional links to full text.
Looking for a Book?
When searching for books, try keyword phrases such as “accounting and retail” or search for specific topics such as “GAAP.”
Remember that the Oregon Tech Library has both print and electronic books available to you through the library’s catalog. More information about electronic books is available here.
Try these Library of Congress subject headings to find books:
- Tax law
Try these Library of Congress call number ranges to find books on the shelf or in the library’s catalog.
HB - HB130: Economic Theory
HD31 - HD47: Capital Investments
HF5601 - HF5689: Business Accounting and Bookkeeping
HJ9701-HJ9940: Public accounting. Auditing
HG1706 - HG1708: Bank Accounting and Bookkeeping
KF6280 - KF6369: Tax Law