The mission of the Software Engineering Technology (SET) associate's degree program within the Computer Systems Engineering Technology (CSET) Department at Oregon Institute of Technology is to prepare our students for entry level careers in the software industry and government by providing applied laboratory-based instruction. The program is to serve a constituency consisting of our alumni, our employers, and our Industrial Advisory Board. Major components of the SET program's mission in the CSET Department are:
- To provide a new generation of Software Engineering Technology students with a solid background in computer programming.
- To enable our students to create, develop and apply knowledge within a technical software environment.
- To provide government and high tech industry employers with entry level graduates in computer programming and related professions.
Program Educational Objectives
The Program Educational Objectives of Oregon Tech's Software Engineering Technology program are to produce graduates who:
- Assist in solving computer systems problems using their knowledge of computer programming.
- Regularly engage in learning and applying state-of-the-art hardware and software technologies to the solution of computer systems problems.
- Will communicate effectively and successfully in the workplace.
Expected Student Learning Outcomes
SET associate's degree graduates will have demonstrated:
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve computer programming problems, including the specification, design, implementation, and testing of programs that meet specification, performance, maintenance and quality requirements.
- an understanding of the core areas of software engineering (data structures and programming languages).
- an understanding of professional, ethical and social responsibility.
- a recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning.
- an ability to communicate through oral presentation and interaction with an audience.
- an ability to convey technical material through written reports which satisfy accepted standards for writing style.
Student Enrollment and Graduation Data
Current enrollment for the Software Engineering associate’s degree program is 1, with no graduates in 2012-13. Past enrollment and graduation data is available in the annual Assessment Reports on this page.
The SET associate's degree curriculum map can be found on program's web page on the Oregon Tech web site.
Summary of Student Learning Outcomes
During the 2031-14 academic year, the SET faculty formally assessed the student learning outcomes summarized in the attached annual report. Additional details can be found in department assessment records.