IRS Form 1098-T Tuition Statement
The 1098-T tax form is a statement of qualified tuition and fees charged by Oregon Institute of Technology that is provided to the student online as well as reported and filed with the IRS. As an eligible educational institution, Oregon Tech is required by law to provide 1098-T Tuition Statements to students who were enrolled in courses at Oregon Tech during the calendar year. The 1098-T is intended to assist you in calculating your eligibility for tax credits. By law, Oregon Tech must have the 1098-T forms available by January 31st for the prior year’s taxes. The 1098-T tax form contains the filer’s (Oregon Institute of Technology) address, Federal Tax ID number and contact information, along with the student’s name, address, social security number, and enrollment status. More importantly, the 1098-T tax form contains the qualified tuition and related expenses billed to the student by Oregon Institute of Technology during the calendar year. It also contains the amount of scholarships or grants posted to the student account during the calendar year. Qualified tuition and related expenses are defined by the IRS as “tuition and fees a student must pay to be enrolled at or attend an eligible educational institution.” In general, not all charges incurred during a calendar year will meet IRS requirements, which is why the figure in Box 2 will probably not match total charges for the calendar year.
1098-T Tuition Statement for 2012
1098-T Tuition Statements for 2012 were published online as of January 31, 2013. Students can access 1098-T statements online through Web for Student.
1098-T Information Reported
The IRS requires each eligible institution to report payments received (Box 1) or amounts billed (Box 2) for qualified educational expenses. The majority of colleges and universities elect to report amounts billed for qualified educational expenses (including Oregon Tech).
- Box 1. Payments Received for Qualified Tuition and Related Expenses: This box will be blank, because Oregon Institute of Technology has elected to report amounts billed.
- Box 2. Amounts Billed for Qualified Tuition and Related Expenses: This box includes Tuition, Mandatory Fees (Building Fee, and Incidental Fee), Matriculation Fee, and Transcript for Life Fee.
- Box 3. Checkbox for change of reporting method: This box is used to report reductions in qualified charges posted to your account previously reported in prior years.
- Box 4. Adjustments Made for a Prior Year: This box is used to report reductions in qualified charges posted to your account reported in prior years.
- Box 5. Scholarships and Grants: This box represents the amount of scholarships or grants posted to your account during the calendar year.
- Box 6. Adjustments to Scholarships or Grants for a Prior Year: This box is used to report reductions to scholarships or grants reported in prior years.
- Box 7. Checkbox for Amounts for an Academic Period Beginning January through March 2_ _ _ (the following calendar year): This box will be checked if qualified tuition and related expenses are billed in one year, but the academic period begins January through March of the following year. Example: Winter term charges are billed in December but classes begin in January.
- Box 8. Check if at Least Half-Time Student: This box will be checked if the student was at least a half-time student during any academic period during the calendar year.
- Box 9. Check if a Graduate Student: This box will be checked if the student was a graduate student; if the student was enrolled in a program or programs leading to a graduate-level degree, graduate-level certificate, or other recognized graduate-level educational credentials.
- Box 10. Insurance Contract Reimbursements of Refunds: This box will be blank.
Copies of all current and prior year 1098-T Tuition Statements are available online through Web for Student from the Student Menu by clicking the "Student Records" link, and then the "Tax Information" link.
1098-T Tuition Statements that cannot be located online, may be requested by the student by contacting Cashier's Office @ email@example.com or by calling 541.885.1202.
In order to process your request we must have the following information:
- Student name and Oregon Tech ID (918xxxxxx).
- Tax year being requested.
- A daytime contact phone number.
- Current mailing address* where you would like the 1098-T mailed.
Please allow 5-7 business days to process your request.
*Please note that we can only mail duplicate 1098-T tax forms to an address that is already established in our system. For a new address, students must update or add the address through Web for Student prior to requesting a duplicate 1098-T.